“21st Century competencies’ include ‘deep
understanding, flexibility and the capacity to make creative connections’ and ‘a
range of so-called “soft skills” including good team working.’”
Objective
I was intrigued by the list of competencies in this quote,
which led to some internal reflection as to whether my skills in this area are
sufficient. When I consider my career I
see that I’ve worked hard to acquire or strengthen some of these skills because
they are so important in most work places and in adult education.
Reflective
As a teacher it will be important to assist students in
developing these skills; not only will instruction and analysis of the skills
be important but so will addressing and testing ways in which students use the
competencies. The latter part,
addressing and testing use of the competencies, is probably the most difficult
but a great opportunity for self and peer evaluation amongst the students.
Interpretive
I’ve been doing some reflection lately about my
abilities and weaknesses in teamwork environments. This quote did not necessarily provide me
with an “Aha” moment, but it did engage my brain muscles in deeper
reflection. I believe that because these
competencies do not come naturally to me, I will be able to instruct students
well on ways to acquire and develop them as I have been going through the process
myself.
Decisional
As a result of further reflection on this quote, I will
adjust the way I teach in the future. I
will spend some more time on assisting students with acquiring and developing
these competencies and use peer and self reflection as a key motivator for the
subject.
No comments:
Post a Comment