There are eight components of lesson planning. As we have already covered a few of them,
including some of the characteristics of adult learners and Bloom’s Taxonomy, I
have selected the following five components because they allow me to dig deeper
into some new material.
Motivational
Techniques
I selected this resource because it’s a handy quick list but
also, with twenty-one items on it, large enough to provide regular inspiration
and challenge. Further, each of the
twenty-one motivational tips provides a link to another article that discusses
the specific topic in more depth.
I expect
that when I’m in the classroom I’ll be busy with the mechanics of teaching and
assessment and it will probably be relatively easy to let the creative and
fresh side of teaching style slip. I
like this list because it is quick reference full of ideas to spice up the
classroom and motivate students.
Assessment and
Feedback
Reference: http://www.crlt.umich.edu/gsis/p4_8
This resource again provides a quick list of different
Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATs) and feedback loops to assess the
effectiveness of your teaching. The
descriptions are well worded and the list is pretty extensive. I was first hesitant to use this as a critical
reference because it is dated 1993 but the ideas listed can equally be
transferred to an electronic or modern learning environment.
Similar to
the motivation techniques I will be able to use this list as quick reference to
change up my crutch assessment and feedback techniques. Further, some of the techniques with low preparation
time can be used “on the fly” in the classroom if there is a need for quick
feedback or assessment.
Instructional Process
or Strategies
Alberta Learning has provided this reference paper with a
detailed list of instructional strategies and examples. The paper is detailed without being
long-winded and provides great bulleted lists and diagrams that can be used as
a quick reference. Further the layout of
the paper with clear and offset headings also makes it user friendly.
I will use
this article, among other resources to prepare the foundation of my daily
lesson plan. The depth of this article
is really useful, as are the detailed descriptions and likely outcomes.
Media and Learning
Aids
I struggled to find a good resource for media and learning
aids. Due to the fast pace of technology,
online resources quickly come into and then go out of fashion. I found a lot of the online resources were
actually a bit of out trend. This one is
not perfect, but it’s not bad. And it
provides a good launch pad for further ideas.
I doubt
that I’ll often use this resource to improve my teaching. It is interesting but serves to underline the
difficulty of writing articles or references about technology. If anything, I’ll use this as a reminder to
do a brainstorming session with students regarding media they’d like to use in
the classroom.
Planning
This Humber College website gives some detail about the
structure of lesson plans while also providing a number of lesson plan
templates that can be easily adapted to any subject. The links provided on the page are to both
internal Humber College materials and some great external resources like the
top-10 list of lesson planning apps.
The app
list is particularly useful as I often use my iPad to prepare or study as I
travel. Having a good app that will
assist me in the lesson planning is invaluable.
No comments:
Post a Comment