“...Learning from one’s experience involves not just
reflection, but critical
reflection.”
Objective
The concept of critical reflection is an important one. It is what really pulled me toward this
quote. Having thorough thought and positive
and negative analysis after an experience is what will provide the deep
learning, not simply an overview of the basic details of the experience.
Reflective
Teaching is a lot about guiding students through the
critical thought process so that it becomes innate and automatic. It is important to have a methodology to help
students develop their skills at critical reflection.
Interpretive
As I reflected on this quote I actually applied my thought
to how I can help a friend recover from a repetitive injury. As he is reluctant to receive direct guidance
(“you should stretch”) I am trying to find a way to assist him in his recovery
and help him prevent future re-injury.
Asking subtle, yet critical, questions about his healing, I hope, will
provide some critical reflection and a change in behaviour. This same subtle questioning technique can be
used in the education setting, especially around student self-assessment.
Decisional
This quote has given me yet another tool for my teaching
tool kit. Reflecting on it has made me
more accepting of the role of self-evaluation in the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment